One of Tottenhams
lost great houses, Reynardsons stood on Philip Lane, to the north of Tottenham
Green, roughly opposite todays library and swimming baths. The wealthy London
merchant Abraham Reynardson (1590-1661) bought it from one William Younge in 1639.
Abraham, born in Plymouth, was Master of the Merchant Taylors Company in
1640, a member of the Levant Company, Lord Mayor of London in 1648, and one of
the first governors of the East India Company. He was a Royalist supporter, and
imprisoned for two months in the Tower during his term as Lord Mayor for refusing
to co-operate with the Rump Parliament.
Abrahams eldest son Nicholas built almshouses on the east side of the High
Road, just south of the police station. These were demolished in 1951 and replaced
by a block of flats, called Reynardsons Court.
There are Reynardsons in the 1881 census.
The old house was pulled down in 1810, and two new houses built upon the site.
In their turn, these were demolished 1900-1905, and a row of shops erected in
their place. These still survive.
The view is from 1790-1800, just before the demolition of the old house.